Monday, December 14, 2009

Duck cutting time






I got enough duck pics but not what I was looking for and since the foie gras market does not open till 1030 am I do wonder around and find the “salle de decoupe” or cutting room where for an undefined and unsolicited tip, two butchers will process/cut up your birds the way you want them or their own ways.



We're waiting for the butcher !






The pieces flying off of the carcass are packed in plastic bags and go directly into the customers shopping bags. It is all a well defined ritual including the tips in Euros which are dumped in the hand sink you can see on the left, no formalities here, only real people in a real place and they could not care less about whatever is happening elsewhere. This is their world and that’s the way they live.














Tradition and culture is alive and well here !
I am a happy tourist even after the bust of the previous stop.



Them ducks are FAT and I like them that way !



Pork fat might have ruled for a long time but in my book duck fat is KING !!!!!!














As you can see this duck business is really serious, this is what I call being in the zone, the Samathan zone that is !







Now, we're almost ready to go !

I will continue on my next post as this foie gras story is not over.

Chef Andre

No comments:

Post a Comment